Monday, August 2, 2010

Project Nursing Rooms - Raffles City

There are two baby rooms in Raffles City - one is located on the third floor, the other is at Basement 1, near to Shokudo. I decided to use the latter and was disappointed.

While the decor is sleek and stylish, the place is crammed and stuffy. I've expected more, given that Raffles City belongs to Capitaland.

Anyway, there are two nursing rooms inside, one on the left, the other on the right. Right in the middle is the changing table (only one), a washing area, and no hot water dispenser. The day I was there, the nursing room had a really foul smell - it's almost like S*** but since the other room was occupied, I had no choice but to use it. By the way, the nursing room is very small, there's no way to fit in the stroller. Even the main area is crammed and once we push in our stroller, there's hardly space for two standing adults.


The main area - includes changing table and sink

A closer look of the above

The nursing room - enough just to fit in the single armchair


Ratings
Cleanliness: 4/5
Amenities: 2/5
Ambience: 2/5

The score for ambience would have been higher if not for the unpleasant smell in the nursing room I was using.



10 Feb 2011 - Second Review

The weekend before the lunar new year, hubby and I were having dinner with friends at Chijmes when Kenan decided to do a big one. When I enquired with the restaurant staff, they told me there is no baby room within Chijmes. So I decided to hop over to Raffles City, which is just across the street.

Instead of using the baby room on the third floor, I thought I could just go one floor down and use the one at the basement. But it turned out to be a mistake.

Kenan is now a curious, no-staying-still one-year-old boy. When I put him on the changing unit that's situated right next to the sink, he kept wanting to get up and play with the tap and soap dispenser. In the end, I had no choice but to carry him away and use the one upstairs.

By the way, I didn't realise one major flaw the last time (because I was just there to breastfeed my son). The changing unit is placed in such a way that the longer side is parallel to the mirror, this means if your child is bigger like mine (not a baby who's jus a few months old), his/her legs will dangle out of the changing unit when you put him/her down facing you. However, if you choose to place your child sideway so that the legs don't dangle out, it makes changing diaper really difficult. What's more, there's no place for you to put your diaper bag!

In comparison, the one upstairs is soooo much more user-friendly! I wonder why two baby rooms in the same shopping mall can end up world's apart in terms of design (not the aesthetic part - though one is more chic/contemporary while the other is cozy and homely) and functionality. Maybe it's because of the limited space the designer can work with (but I really doubt that's the reason - aren't designers suppose to be creative to begin with?). But anyway, I think I'll not use this baby room again if I can help it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Mommy CafeDesigned by Patricia Alix-Villa of Fancy Girl Designs 2012

Back to TOP