Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Niangao with Banana Wrapped in Spring Roll Pastry

The Lunar New Year is coming to a close. Besides trying to finish the mandarin oranges, it is also time to take the niangao out from the fridge (easier to cut when it's harder). Normally when we cook niangao, it is usually dipped in egg batter and then fried before serving. But this year, I decided to try out an ex-colleague's recipe, which besides being a refreshing change, is also a healthier version.

For this recipe, instead of coating each piece of niangao in egg batter, spring roll pastry is used, and instead of frying, you bake it (I don't have an oven, so I used the toaster and it works too). In addition, I also added banana as my hubby suggested.

Ingredients:
1. Niangao
2. Banana - optional (I used the small type of bananas where it's slightly sour but I'm not too sure what it's called)
3. Spring Roll Pastry - I used Tee Yih Jia (第一家) brand's small spring roll pastry (purchased from NTUC supermarket); states on the package that it's about 5" by 5"

Method:
1. Cut the niangao into thin rectangular slices (about 6cm by 4cm)


2. Cut banana into thin slices
3. Put a piece of niangao on a spring roll pastry, then place two pieces of banana on the niangao


4. Wrap the ingredients up. Instead of using egg white to seal the edges, I used cooking oil and it worked just fine. Then put into toaster and toast in medium heat for five minutes till the skin is crispy and the niangao is soft (you can use oven too).

Here's the final product:

It's crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

The skin can lose its crispyness after some time, just pop them into
the toaster/oven for  two, three minutes and they will be crispy again


Hope you enjoy this version of niangao! And if you have some interesting niangao recipes, please share with me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Mommy CafeDesigned by Patricia Alix-Villa of Fancy Girl Designs 2012

Back to TOP