Friday, June 17, 2011

What to Do with Clothes You Don't Wear

According to fashion experts, most of us wear only about 20% of the clothes in our wardrobe. That leaves 80% of our clothes never seeing the light of day! But why is that so? Here are some common reasons:

  • You went on retail therapy and bought the item on impulse
  • The item doesn't really fit or no longer fits
  • The style doesn't match the rest of your wardrobe
  • The item is out of style/fashion
  • You receive it as a gift but you don't like it

If you can't bear to throw or give the clothes away, here's one idea you can try.

This is a jacket I bought. When I purchased it, I like it for being reminiscent of the 60s style cropped jacket. I had planned to wear it for more formal context e.g. meeting with clients. But later, I thought it was a bit cutesy and left it hanging in the wardrobe, without ever wearing it.

Recently, I went through my clothes and stumbled upon the jacket. The fit is ok, the colour's fine, but it didn't look sophisticated enough. I figured out why and decided to do a minor alteration with it. Here's the result:

I removed the two pockets in front. Do you think it looks more sophisticated now? In fact, I should have also taken out the two straps near the bottom of the sleeves.

While this may not work on every piece of that 80% of clothes, at least you can still salvage several pieces or transform the look of some of your older garments. In fact, Kenan has one collared jumpsuit and I'm thinking of getting it altered into a polo tee. It will so much more versatile as it can then be paired with different bottoms.

Hope you find the idea useful. Have fun altering!


Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Mommy CafeDesigned by Patricia Alix-Villa of Fancy Girl Designs 2012

Back to TOP