Friday, March 11, 2011

Update on Kenan's Milestones

Looking at my recent posts, it just dawn on me that I've not updated about Kenan's development for quite a while. He is now almost 14 months old and it's amazing how much he's grown and how fast he learns. He loves reading, especially books with lots of real life pictures. It helps him to learn the names of animals and everyday things. I've tried recording a list of words he knows and it stands at 91 at the last count.

List of words Kenan knows:
aeroplane (he knows '飞机')
aircon
apple
ball
banana
bear/teddy bear
belly button
big
bird
book
bottle
brush
bus
butterfly
button
bye bye
camel
carrot
cat (can mimic the sound)
chair
clap (he knows '拍手')
clock
close
cow
crawl
dog
don't want
drink
duck
durian
eat (can sign 'eat')
elephant (tries mimic the sound)
exit (recognises the 'EXIT' sign)
eyes (he knows '眼睛')
fan
finish/ no more (can sign 'finish/no more')
fish
flower
fly kiss
give
grapes
grass
hair (he knows '头发')
happy
hello
highchair
keys
kiss
kiwi fruit
lantern
leaf
light
lion (and he even attempts a lion's roar!)
milk (can sign 'milk' and knows '')
more (can sign 'more')
motorbike
mouth (he knows '嘴巴')
nose (he knows '鼻子')
open
orange
owl
pampers
papaya
penguin
pig (can mimic the sound)
rabbit
read
rice
rub hands
shake
shoes
sit
sky
sleep
small
socks
stand
star
starfruit
strawberry
teeth
telephone
thank you
toes
tongue
train
tree
TV/television (he knows '电视机')
Yawn (he will open mouth wide when asked to yawn)
water
wave (as in to wave the hand)
zebra




Here's a videoclip of Kenan reading:


Does any mom out there also keep a list of words your child knows? Perhaps it seems a bit silly and I'm sure there are other little ones of the same age who know many more words than Kenan does, but as his mom, I'm really very proud of his progress. To me, he is one very smart little boy! By the way, the list is not exhaustive as it's almost impossible for me to record everything, but it's close enough.

In recent weeks, Kenan has also started to say a few more words. In the past, it has always been "mama" and "papa (or da-da)" and lots of baby babbling. Now he can say words like apple (sometimes end up saying "ap-ple-ple-ple-ple"), ball, bird, duck (which he articulates with perfection), banana (says it as "na-na") and jie jie.

When he is not reading, he likes to crawl around the house and explore his surroundings. He's not really into toys, which is good to some extend, as it saves us the money but I really have to think of ways to entertain him, and I'm not especially creative in this aspect. At present, he's into spinning bottles and whatever objects he can lay his hands on. It started off with me spinning bottles to entertain him, and after watching for two, three months, he suddenly started spinning a bottle one day. That was really amazing! Just the last few days, he has also learnt how to unscrew bottle caps!

In terms of physical development, he has yet to walk independently though, but I'm not worried about it - at least not yet. After all, his dad only started walking on his own at 15 months old, so it might be the same for Kenan. Some old folks believe that if a child starts walking later, it means he will have an easier life. Well, I certainly do hope so for my son - the part about having an easier life.

Meanwhile, I think he is turning out to be left-handed. We noticed he has a tendency to use the left hand when he was about 11 or 12 months old. Now, he is definitely using his left hand more than the right, especially when he feeds himself, spins the bottle or when he picks things up. I'm already wondering how am I going to teach him how to write, use the chopsticks and so on.

The intellectual and physical developments aside, he has also growing up into a very sweet boy. When we play together, he would sometimes stop whatever he is doing, crawls right next to me, pull himself up to a standing position and plants tiny kisses on my face. It never fails to melt my heart! He does that to his daddy too.

Sometimes, I still find it hard to believe that not so long ago, I was against the idea of having children, and I'm still quite reluctant to have another as one kid has already taken up so much of my time and energy.

Yet being a mom has certainly offered me new understanding of womanhood and created a whole new dimension that wasn't there before. It's been a very special journey filled with lots of beautiful, heartwarming moments as well as challenges and pain.

For being someone who was once adamant about not having a kid, I now got to eat my own words. I must admit that I'm really beginning to appreciate motherhood more each day and what it has opened up for me as a woman and an individual. I still miss my pre-motherhood days and the freedom I enjoy, but I'm thankful that I didn't miss out on this special journey. I guess I must also thank my husband for trying so hard to convince me to have a child, if he hasn't been so keen on having a kid, we probably won't have one, and I may end up regretting it later - but I'll never know for sure. Since I've embarked on parenthood, I will make the best out of it - for myself, my husband, and of course, for my sweetest little boy. I really hope that I will be the kind of mom he will be proud of when he grows up.


Kenan spins the bottle and also shows how he 'sleeps' - it's really cute!


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Mommy CafeDesigned by Patricia Alix-Villa of Fancy Girl Designs 2012

Back to TOP