Friday, April 20, 2012

Conversations


I can’t even pinpoint when it happened.  But ever since the boy started going school, he’s been rapidly building up his vocabulary and linguistic skills, and before I knew it, we were already having simple conversations! Almost every day, he would also spring us a surprise with a new word or two.

Here are some of our recent conversations:

After a bad tantrum episode, I felt really mad and told him, “Kenan, mommy doesn’t want to stay home; I shall go out to work!”

With tears rolling in his eyes, he replied, “No, mommy stay home! Daddy go work!”

* * * * * * * * * *

One day, I was driving the boy to school and he suddenly said, “Mummy, be careful!”

I swear I wasn’t speeding, nor did I jammed on the brake to cause him to issue that cautionary note. But from that day on, l always remember those words and the cute little voice that said it whenever I’m on the road.

* * * * * * * * * *

I took out a packet of Milo from the fridge and was about to drink it when the little boy discovered what I was doing. He wanted a share of it too.

“Kenan, mommy’s hungry, so you just drink a little and leave the rest for me, ok?” I said.

I handed it to him, he took a sip and passed it back to me.

“Kenan drink a little only, mommy drink a lot!” I was absolutely touched that he could resist the temptation to drink more, which he would normally do as he enjoys Milo.

* * * * * * * * * *

The boy had been playing with a balloon for few days. So when I discovered it’s gone, I asked him what happened to the balloon.

Thinking for a moment, the boy reported, “Balloon boom already!”
A second later, he reiterated, “Burst!” and clapped his hands to mimic the sound.

* * * * * * * * * *

I’m always the one to tuck the boy to sleep. He refused to let anyone else do it. Ever since he started talking, whenever I tried to get the hubby to help, Kenan would always protest saying, “No, daddy go away!” or he would wave frantically and say, “Daddy bye-bye!” and pushes the dad out of the room.

After that, the hubby would always tell me how hurt he feels. Poor thing. He didn’t expect to have such a “mommy’s boy”! After all, he was the one who’s been so keen to have a child!

* * * * * * * * * *


Last Sunday, the boy was going out with his dad to the usual weekend dinner with the extended family. I had to stay home to look after my mom, who had just discharged from the hospital.

“Kenan, mommy won’t be going out with you and daddy tonight. Mommy has to stay home to take care of por-por,” I explained to the boy.

 “I want to stay home with mommy, I love mommy,” then he came over and hugged me tightly.

* * * * * * * * * *

I'm really beginning to enjoy these simple conversations with my little boy. But will there be a day when I'll complain that he talks too much or asks too many questions (especially those that I have no immediate answers to)?

I hope that if that day comes, I'll learn to be patient with him, so that he will continue to be curious about the world around him and develop a genuine love for learning. 


And if you do hear me complaining, please remind me to exercise greater patience!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Mommy CafeDesigned by Patricia Alix-Villa of Fancy Girl Designs 2012

Back to TOP