Thursday, May 12, 2011

Looking for Space-Saving Furniture

Before Kenan came along, I have a study room where I get to work in peace and quietness. Now, the study room has been converted into a bedroom for the helper and my current work space is just a small corner of the dining table in the dining area. No longer can I enjoy the quietness I used to have - which is so important to me as a writer and sometimes, this really frustrates me.

So now, I am exploring the possibility of recreating a work space in the bedroom that was previously the study.

A while back, I saw a video clip on a friend's Facebook account that showcased some really cool space-saving furniture. I was especially intrigued by what are known as wall beds. As the name implies, the bed can be folded and tucked away in a 'wall' or cabinet. You can see the video here.

I began looking for something similar here and found one company that produces what they call the 'hidden wall beds'. I sent an enquiry to them and they responded quickly with a call followed by tonnes of photos of  projects they did for clients living in HDB flats and private condominiums. I thought I'll share some of them with you, starting with this single-bed with attached cabinets and table:



Here's another one; it's a queen-size bed and I certainly prefer it in white.


This one shows two single beds, it's a good idea to have it flushed against the wall:

However, I must admit I'm not really excited when I see these local wall  beds, after being so impressed by what I saw in the video clip. The design and finishing of the European furniture are really so much more sleek and stylish, but of course, the prices will imaginably be equally impressive.

I went to the website of the company that posted the video clip to find out more. I saw one that I love - it comes with a single bed, a wardrobe and table. Here are the pictures:

picture from Resource furniture

picture from Resource Furniture

What's really great about this one is that when you bring down the bed, the table gets tucked neatly underneath without having to remove the things placed on it! There's also more storage space by the side of the bed, in addition to the wardrobe on top.

I really wish someone would bring in these European furniture. Singapore's apartments (HDB and private ones) are getting smaller and smaller, these furniture will help solve our space shortage problems. And I rather pay more for the better design and quality. 

Oh, while I was researching about wall beds, I found someone sharing about his renovation works in a forum and this person actually flew all the way to Italy to buy a wall bed and then arranged for it to be shipped back. Wow, I wish I have that kind of money to do such a thing! He bought a simple wall bed, without all the additional cabinets and storage space, and got it boxed up so that it flushes with the wall. If you have time, go through his thread and see the amazing transformation of his entire apartment. I was super impressed, and  he's got lots of cool, high-end stuff in there!

Anyway, back to the local wall beds produced by the eponymously named company Hidden Wall Bed. The price of a basic single/super single wall bed ranges from about $2,000 to $2,400 and queen beds are from about $2,400 to $2,800. Prices exclude mattresses. Additional storage cabinet is charged by per foot run.

I probably visit their showroom to check the beds out. But how I wish I can have one of the European wall beds!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Mommy CafeDesigned by Patricia Alix-Villa of Fancy Girl Designs 2012

Back to TOP